Manor Barn, Didcot, Oxfordshire – Rescue and Redesign
A client's perspective:
Making light work of a barn modernisation
Our home is a 17th century former agricultural building which underwent modernisation back in the 90s. In 2014 we decided to update it, as well as extending it to the rear. Our plans included a two-bay oak frame garage with a room to the rear as well as further utility space on the ground floor, together with first floor space for two rooms and a shower room.
The contractor we appointed failed to finish the job, and fortunately that’s when Guy came on board. He sorted all the structural and building regulation issues that had been neglected and finished off the project for us.
After this we asked him to redesign the interior of our existing barn conversion, which led to a further six months’ work ripping out a mezzanine floor level, new structural work, installing a new floor, master bedroom and en-suite, an additional bathroom, TV room and kitchen.
Fortunately, we were able to move into the newly constructed annex while this work was going on!
On both projects, Guy was able to negotiate terms with the contractors, oversee the work and ensure the quality of workmanship. He also proved very flexible when we changed the scope of the second project to rip out the existing underfloor heating and start again.
The only part of the contract we didn't pass over to Guy was the decorating, which we decided to do ourselves. In hindsight that was probably a mistake as it required 140 litres of paint – taking far longer than we had bargained for!
Throughout both projects, Guy’s approach was professional and highly organised. We were more than pleased with the outcome and would always recommend him.
Mike Parker, Didcot, Oxfordshire
Responsibilities of Over-see:
Oak frame garage
- Liaising with building control and resolving outstanding issues with work left by previous contractor
- Finishing off construction which included:
– insulation / plasterboarding / plastering;
– fitting oil fired boiler, and installing central heating / hot water system;
– floor screed;
– drainage connection;
– electrical connection;
– connection of oil supply for boiler;
– second fix joinery;
– paviours and drainage to outside.
- Measured survey and production of plans as existing
- Interior re design and production of new floor plans
- Liaising with structural engineer for first floor supporting beam design
- Internal demolitions removal of kitchen, complete first floor structure master bedroom and ensuite, removal of existing terracotta floor tile and screed. Brick fire place and flue.
- Foundations for supporting steel structure
- Steel structure
- New partitioning, plasterboard and plastering
- Underfloor heating throughout ground and new first floor, new radiators to existing first floor rooms, new boiler installation
- New cinema room
- New kitchen
- New master bedroom and ensuite
- New office area
- Oak staircase
- Glass balustrading
- Porcelain tiles to kitchen /dining area
- Electrical and plumbing refurbishment
- Project management - all aspects
Challenges: Picking up the pieces from a previous contractor, whose work failed to meet building regulations and client expectations, restoring the client's faith in professional building and project management services.
Duration: 5 months (Barn Conversion)
Fees: Fixed price with variations